19/11/17 Trysull

Forums Show Us Your Finds Rally Finds 19/11/17 Trysull

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

What a fab day for detecting, with nice easy swinging, walking and digging to boot. Two bits of ‘gold’ came up, but alas they were both just gilded items. The pigeon ring still had the thigh bone in when I found it, but it washed down the sink during cleaning…oops! Nothing in my collection to get the pulse racing, but I was happy enough with the horsey bits, thimble and token. Totally dull and uninteresting was the pot leg (why FLOs love them so much I just can’t fathom), but it’s probably my best points piece of the day (is that right Ray?). Coins all post 1700, best of which was a nice Victoria penny. The George IV farthing is quite a rare find in my experience, but unfortunately it’s pretty knackered. Alas the token was rather worn as well…a pity because it looks like it has an unusual pattern on it.

Anonymous

6 FOR POT LEG AND 4 FOR COPPERS,ALSO I CANNOT UNDERSTAND WHY THE FLO SHOW SO MUCH INTEREST IN POT LEGS,WHEN YOU SHOW THEM ALL THEY SAY IS,OH THOSE HAVE BEEN IN USE FOR HUNDREDS OF YEARS,AND LEAVE IT AT THAT,THAT GOLD LOOKING ITEM ON BOTTOM OF PIC LOOKS VERY INTERESTING TO ME,THE BIT OF IT I CAN SEE LOOKS LIKE PART OF A SAXON SAUCER BROOCH SAYING THAT I NEED TO SEE IT IN THE FLESH.CHECK OUT saxon saucer brooches,YOU WILL SEE WHAT I MEAN.

Anonymous

Hi Ray – your thoughts got me very excited as I have never found anything Saxon before. Having searched a little online I’d say it certainly does look like it could be Saxon saucer or maybe disc brooch fragment. The raised ‘cup’ bit would have held a coloured stone I suppose, and on the back is a fragment of what might have been part of the fastening mechanism. The only negative is that in my brief research I can’t find a pattern like it on any other brooches. I’ll try and take some close up photo’s from multiple angles tomorrow and post. Pity I thought nothing of it when I found it…could have got me some extra points!

Anonymous

my book only shows about 7 different styles there could be dozens.the moment i saw it i knew what it could be,rest of it will be in the field.bring it on the 3rd.would love to see it.ray.

Anonymous

Hi Ray

so, I’m about as far from an expert as you can get on ancient jewellery, but after a bit of net surfing I’m thinking its a fragment of a gold gilded bronze disc brooch dating to around the 9th-10th century because the pattern seems to fit what I understand to be the Viking borre style. The setting would have been used for a coloured stone/gem I think. This is a more Saxon disc brooch feature i believe, so perhaps we’ve got a bit of cultural fusion going on here. The back is plain with a deep green patina and a small raised piece which probably was part of the pin clasp.

That’s my analysis then. If you or any other readers here have any thoughts to add I’d be glad to hear them.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.